Friday, February 26, 2010

not impressed

Yesterday I caught up on the fall ready-to-wear collections on style.com and I have to say, it was rather disappointing. Usually, the fall collections are the best with lots of texture and lovely rich-looking materials. I don't know what happened this year, I think everyone is playing it really safe. I clicked through about 4 slides at Burberry Porsum (which I normally adore), because I thought the internet was being really slow, before I realized the image had actually changed, the styles were just that similar.
Also, there is WAY too much fringe for comfort. I think in the Blumarine show there wasn't one item without either fringe or zebra print (eww) and even adorable Thakoon (he is adorable, like a little Asian hobbit) had lots of nasty fringe. (Oh, just kidding - I just reviewed his show and it is actually quite nice, with lots of subtle prints, good shapes and drape-y-ness, but someone else I usually like had too much nasty fringe, maybe Alexander Wang?)
There does seem to be a lot of retro, '50's and '60's, a general lack of color, tons of military, lots of fur (if you don't think your customer is brave enough to invest in a little color, what makes you think they are going to shell out for a new fox fur coat?!?), and also the heinous fringe - so, there is a story for almost everyone this season. Also, almost every designer had one of these nasty, huge coats in their shows, I know Megan will love it, but it just reminds me of DMX and makes me think that a pair of unlaced Timberland boots should go with it (sorry if you didn't watch MTV during this time, I can't find any good images to give you a visual for what I am talking about).

Here are some of my favorite looks.

Matthew Williamson: although I think I would have styled it with some olive or beige high-heeled booties, it is fall after all
Doo.Ri: love the caramel and beige with black
Halston: obviously loose the cloche/helmet
Erdem: so pretty and nice to see sleeves on dresses
Brian Reyes: I love the structure of the skirt with the simplicity of the silk tee, and the knee socks
Behnaz Sarafpour: such great skinny pants with the cropped fuzzy jacket, very simple and nice
Reed Krakoff: COLOR! He used lots of this beautiful blue that looks great on everyone and with black, beige, brown, olive, etc... Also love the trouser pants, but think they will be toned down a bit for retail.
Prada: This is styled a wee bit too retro for my taste, but imagine how gorgeous this coat would be with skinny jeans and boots or booties :) minus the glasses

1 comment: