Tuesday, March 9, 2010

one big WTF for Chanel and other fashion-y things

Wow. I just looked at the Chanel Fall 2010 ready-to-wear. Wow. I think that the crazy portion of Karl Lagerfeld's crazy/creative genius brain has finally eclipsed the creative part with horrific consequences. Clearly, he is taking crazy pills. Here are just two of the weirdest things I have even imagined (You need to watch the slide show and see the first two outfits of the show, but I am still pretending that they were just a joke, so could not bring myself to re-post them) to be associated with Chanel, John Galliano - perhaps, Sean John - maybe, I am even thinking Rocca Wear, but Karl for Chanel...? Wow. (I included a man picture too, just to be clear it was an equal opportunity  assault on all things wondrous about Chanel, not just women in general)



I'm sure in person, it was a fantastic show, I mean they did have real icebergs imported from 'Scandinavia', and the set looks amazing, too bad there aren't any wider shots of it.

There were some great amalgamations of tweed and knits, but these were way surpassed by the overwhelming (both in that it overwhelmed the models' bodies and just the sheer amount) use of fur. I happen to like fur, it's nice and cozy, especially if it is vintage, but, again, wow.

Just looked at Stella McCartney too, and have to say I loved it and would probably actually wear every single last bit of that collection (I think that would make a nice after-baby-present, no?). My only problem with the styling is she seemed to say "eff pants" (this is a phrase coined by Luca who used to be my counterpart from the Napa store, and one of the only saving graces of my ex-job) a few too many times.


Above, an exhibit of how even top designers can go wrong when they ignore a basic principle of dressing: if you are wearing a top, you need to wear pants (or a skirt or leggings, etc...).
Below is what I want to wear to the next wedding I go to (Robin & Christine's I think). I will just need earrings and about $2,000 give or take a bit, and to have bounced back from being a recent preggy.

Other shows that I thought were beautiful and I would like to see the things from magically appear in my closet: Valentino (good for nice ruffled and draped things & future Persian wedding apparel), and Giambattista Valli (good for just all around cute dressing, and some Persian weddings too).

2 comments:

  1. (insert quasi-knowledgeable fashion comment from non-fashion-y friend) There seems to be a lot of short-in-the-front-long-in-the-back dresses that I just don't think I could pull off (someone did this at the Golden Globes and the Oscars--lavender, pink and dark purple-y thing). Gwyneth said that Stella's pants are the best dress pants women can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are fashion-y :P I noticed a lot of those types of dresses too, I think the full-skirted ruffly ones look the nicest, but at the same time they remind me of the dress I wore to Pop Concert in 10th grade.
    Also, I feel that although it appears that Stella McCartney makes very nice pants (never tried any myself), that endorsement from Gwyneth is not quite unprejudiced, since they are such good friends.

    ReplyDelete