Monday, August 31, 2009

Lazy Little Bee

I have returned from the LA warehouse sale, not much worse for the wear. I was rejuvenated somewhat by my side trip up to Santa Barbara to see cousin Charlie and his friend Jimmy, newly transplanted from Minneapolis in Isla Vista (the infamous IV (letters not Roman numerals)to anyone who's ever heard a college story about UCSB that does not actually involve the campus, so any story about UCSB basically).

The sale was at the convention center this year, and what with the better amenities (air conditioning, bathrooms vs. port-a-potties, proper lighting, even Starbucks)the customers were pretty normal and the piles of discarded clothing were manageable, even the temps weren't that bad (our 'regulars' always get the job done, but we usually have a few weird and smelly ones that Luca and I like to create a past for to help explain their weirdness.) No screaming men in hot pink bikini briefs this year! The hotel was crappy.

The importance of staying at a semi luxury hotel in Beverly Hills (as we have in the past) is high on my list of importance when working 14-10 hours a day managing the entire woman's section of the sale with my lovely counterpart (Luca from Napa), but apparently that went the way of our raises this year. So we were stuck at the Holiday in City Center, which is not a semi luxury hotel. It had the worst TV stations and pillows ever. These items are crucial for a nice relaxing night after dealing with a writhing mass of semi-clothed humanity all day (people are surprisingly liberal with their physical modesty when there is a good deal to be had). We did manage to have a few nice dinners, which was a feat in itself because everything in that area is an over priced chain restaurant, although most of them were pretty good chains (Yard House, Flemming's, The Farm).

I did also manage to squeeze in a dinner with Chantel and one with Arta, but going out past dinner was beyond me. I was just plain exhausted from the long days and midget-y pillows. Flat pillows can be folded, lumpy pillows can usually be beaten into submission, but there isn't a lot to do to make a short pillow more comfortable. Also, I was forced to watch awful TV to fall asleep at night. The first night I saw sucked into a Monster Quest (they NEVER EVER prove the monsters exist so I don't know why anyone (me included, but only when I am at the mercy of hotel TV), still watches it!! This episode involved escaped Chimpanzees that could be living in the wilds of Florida or CA. Don't ever watch this show, it will give you nightmares. All you need to know is to never ever get a monkey for a pet (no matter how cool Dane Cook says it would be)or visit someone who has a monkey for a pet if you value your face and appendages. Eww.

Well, now I've got more pictures that aren't uploaded so maybe my NEXT blog will be all pictures.

2 comments:

  1. The other story would have been good, too : ) Glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, I just started reading your blog and laughed the whole way through. Great writing too!

    ReplyDelete