Friday, June 26, 2009

Certainly NOT as glamorous as it once was, and some graphic content

Air travel, that is. Didn't people used to have a special class of clothing called 'traveling clothes', as in 'she was wearing a lovely traveling suit of light blue gabardine'? Well can't quite see anyone voluntarily wearing anything lovely on a plane these days, unless they are chartering their own, because of the lines one has to wait in to get a ticket, get into the gate area, get on the plane and sit in ones' assigned seat, as well as the inelegant way the airlines cram people onto planes. I realize it is a great privilege to 'hop' onto a plane and 'zip' across thousands of miles to see my loved ones, but eww it is not a fun or cute experience anymore, and is best done slightly medicated in a sweatsuit and flipflops. Did not have sweatsuit or proper medicating substances on this last journey so perhaps that is why I was feeling extra snarky.

Upon boarding the plane I decided there should be rules dictating make-up colors for flight attendants. If you think this sounds totalitarian and anti-feminist, I ask you: would like to be reminded of a corpse upon boarding your next flight? The answer is a resounding NO. So therefore I think flight attendants should be restricted from copying runway trends that involve plastic-y looking dewy skin, white eyeshadow, minimal mascara and matte nude lipstick.

I was seated on the isle and there was a girl (12-14 yrs old) on the adjacent isle seat a few rows up who I found HIGHLY irritating. Mostly because she (or her mother) had clearly planned ahead better than I had and had lots of things to entertain and sustain her for the duration of the flight. I had 2 magazines (one of the little remaining luxuries of air travel, I allow myself to buy a few magazines in the airport, if I have time), some paper and a pen to start my personal statement for law school, and gum that was sweating (oozing some of its' sugar-like substance). She had a delicious smelling sandwich, drink, a book and a Macbook (which I wanted to steal so I could blog). Pretty sure she wouldn't have missed any of those things too much, because adding to her obnoxiousness (she actually was very quite and non-offensive, I just found her aura irritating) was her ensemble: Lacoste headband, sweat shirt and skirt, Tory Burch flipflops and tote. I kind of think that Tory Burch is Juicy Couture for grown-ups.

Enough picking on children, back to my meager supplies. I realize that summer issues are usually short, and that I am a fast reader and I will own up that I did not read "Shinny Hair at Any Age" (got that, thanks) or the article on ovarian cancer (total downer), but I finished my copy of Bazaar in less than 25 minutes, including a few re-flippings. Some things I feel are vital for my existence after reading the issue: coral lipstick and nail polish (not that I would ever wear the lipstick in public because I think anything bolder than mauve looks weird on me, but I would like to try it at home. It would probably help me to be a better writer), a grey cardigan, a leopard print something, and a day clutch. I also really liked the fall things from Etro.

What I found humerous was Bazaar's little nod to the recession. It was very subtle, and only to be noticed if you actually read the little editorial notes about where the clothes in a feature are from and how much they cost, but right there along side a $1775 Blumarine jacket and $595 Bally pants was a $14.40 Gap tee shirt. Also in regard to the recession and marketing, I think the phrase 'stimulas package' has been extreamly over utilized and inappropriatly used by 'clever' marketing types. However, when in Minnesota I came across the most disturbing and confusing usege yet. It was on a prolife billboard. It just said 'STIMULAS PACKAGE' over a box full of babies (happy, live ones, not the bits of dead baby parts they use outside high schools) and on the box it stated 'AMERICA'S GREATEST RESCOURCE'. Boxes of unwanted babies are America's greatest resource? I don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment