Friday, July 10, 2009

Last enstallment of MN vacation

I'm trying to finish up my postings for my legal environment of business class, so it is the perfect time to write my last blog about my recent vacation (it is not entirely my fault that I am procrastinating this time, there is currently a blackboard outage).

So, besides (CTK, is this a proper word?)the amazing camouflage recliner, there were many favorite things about my trip that are included here, but these few blogs in no way capture all the fun highlights. I forgot to say that after my mom picked me up from the airport, we cruised over to Saint Paul and had a late lunch with KPC at the Grand Ave location of Punch Pizza, my favorite pizza place in the world, besides that one in Sorrento that my mom and I happened upon on our Italian vacation a few years ago(where the 10-12 year old Italian girl furtively waved at me and said 'bye' after her dad asked if we were Canadian or English (obviously, too well dressed and polite to be nasty Americans....))I had not been to this location before and absolutely adored the dark, rustic wood tables and benches with the light marble tops and counters.

I did some good shopping (no snickering, apparel in MN is TAX FREE BABY, very important since the SD sales tax rate has gone up to 8.75% and LA is now 9.75%!!!) at a vintage store on Superior street, where incidentally, the dressing rooms were decorated with some pictures by and of Masha. I got a crazy polyester or nylon green floral dress circa 1970 (Specially Made By VERA), a great black knit wool dress from Italy, a black and tan double knit sweater-y jacket (both of these items could either be from 1950 or 1980, but very timeless as well), and a floor length black taffeta formal that I would place in the 1960's, for the next Persian wedding :)Also had some luck at good old TJ Maxx and Old Navy, but tragically the Gap in Duluth has closed. Lame. CTK says The Miller Hill Mall is the worst mall ever, but no, my friend, the Plaza El Camino Real may have a few better stores, but it is one of the saddest places on earth. It is frequently referred to as "the ghetto mall" and is inhabited almost exclusively by teenagers and Marines (sometimes those are not mutually exclusive groups) AND has several gaping black vacant store spaces.

My mom and I went to some places I haven't had the chance to visit in years around the south shore of Lake Superior. My dad was doing public tours on the boat and was in Bayfield, WI for the first few days when I was home, and then motored across the lake to Grand Portage.So, we drove over to Bayfield to see him and stopped at my Grandpa Thompson's old cabin on Roman's point (near Cornucopia for those in the know). I don't think it is as well used or loved as it was and this makes me more than a little sad, as my grandpa built it with help from several relatives and friends and many a Thompson and a Rau spent happy times there. Erik's tree fort was in pretty bad repair, but there were some beautiful forget-me-nots and some not so cool poison ivy.
We met up with my Dad riding his bike around Bayfield. It is a very nice, scenic town with wonderfully large Victorian houses (most are B & B's now). I think they have one of the nicest marina/downtown areas, but the down town has unfortunately been taken over by crap-filled tourist shops, which is strange because it seems to have a higher class of tourist which who would prefer more unique and local artsy-type things. We drove to Washburn for lunch at a little bar/diner that had fantastic onion rings and an amazing variety of beer. Then on to Ashland to buy fireworks for my dad's annual fireworks display at Grandpa Rau's house on Lake Freeborn.
Two years ago Shandiz, my cousin Michelle and I were nearly ignited when some spinning popping things that my dad and his assistant (my cousin Mitchell) lit failed to become airborne before they started releasing their full flaming glory. We weren't able to go this year, but my brother and Alicia were there. I haven't heard a report yet, so I am assuming there were no major injuries or property damage. It's always a good show, and there is usually someone on the other side of the lake eager to engage in a firework battle, which allows the show lasts until the fireworks run out and the misquotes overpower the Off!.

No comments:

Post a Comment