My ten year high school reunion was last year, and neither CTK or I went, I was in Belize on my honeymoon and I know CTK had something much more important to do, so we kind of made our own this year. While cleaning my room at my parent's house, I found a stash of notes from junior high and high school that were hilarious because of their content and the care that went into creating them (different colored markers for each word, little drawings and decorations in the margins). Do kids write notes anymore?
Mostly we just remembered funny situations and thought of all the boys we should have kissed, but didn't, and wondered why we had such bad taste in selecting the ones we did. We also analyzed friendships and other relationships with the clarity of years, years of life experience and not thinking of something for a long time.
So, we have some new neighbors. A few weeks ago, Joe Dirt moved into our building. He has a red Camero with flames on the sides from bumper to bumper, but the flames aren't painted on, they are decals. He wears tank tops with cut-off jean shorts and has an incredible mullet. The likeness is all most too great, Shandiz finally saw him and thought someone was playing a trick on us. Unfortuanly, I have been unable to come up with a plan to get a picture of him next to his car, but I am working on it.
About the same time that Joe Dirt moved in, we began to have a visitor on our balcony. I named him Julian and he is a morning dove. Normally I my bird phobia would prevent me from liking him, but he is very docile and non-threatening, and could actually be a 'she' I guess. He came for many evenings in a row and sat on the balcony rail, but I guess he was lonely, because then he kept trying to come inside and would bonk into the glass or screen. But he is ok and has stopped that for now.
I finally got around to framing and hanging this painting from my Aunt Juanita's grainery (one of her antique storehouses) a few years ago, like eight I think, and am pretty happy with the results. I got the frame from my upstairs neighbor who was getting rid of it and then bought a pre-cut mat from Micheal's that wasn't very expensive. I only wish the opening in the mat was a little bigger so it didn't cut off the edge of the painting.
My aunt painted this in High School when they were living in Berlin. I really like the colors with the blue mat and the matador's jacket. It actually goes really well with the rug we have in the living room. You should come and see it in person for the full effect ;)
Between my shuttle ride down from Duluth and my flight back to CA, I had a lovely summer supper with my Uncle Bruce and his lady friend Jean. We had some great Pinot Grigio (Santini Contadino Pinot Grigio) from Trader Joe's that is perfect for summer. (It is light and crisp, and works really well for the wine spritzers I learned about from Gail when I was in Vero Beach.) While I was there, I missed my cousin Chelsea, but my cousin Charlie emerged from his basement Rasta-lair (decorated with really amazing graffiti paintings of the Lion and maybe Bob Marley) to say hi and chat for a bit. He is moving to Santa Barbara with his friend Jimmy in August where they will be sharing a one bedroom apartment in Isla Vista. After hearing Shandiz et all's college stories about living accommodations and general lifestyle there, I told him he is welcome to come and stay at our place anytime because we always have food and clean sheets, and never have bugs, or squirrels in the house, or mattresses burning in the street.

Another twinkle in my eye for our time together, friend. Your aunt's painting is exactly how I picture the visual image of Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". We, too, have doves. We don't like them enough to name them, however.
ReplyDelete