So, as many of you might know, there was a fairly large earthquake in Baja on Easter, followed by several more smaller ones that day (some where aftershocks I know, but others were at other locations in California, so I am not sure if these count as separate ones or just more aftershocks?), a few more on Monday night and then a moderate one on Wednesday morning. Cool.
The Easter one was the biggest I have felt since moving to CA (or ever since I never felt an earthquake in MN) and it seemed to last FOREVER (or just 40 seconds). We were in the in-laws back yard, winding up the Easter Egg hunt with a whole bunch of cousins when Sheila started to feel like she was going to pass out, but then realized that everything was moving - not just her (she is pregnant too, and feels lightheaded frequently so this is understandable) then we all felt it. Although I was standing on the concrete patio, it felt as if I was on a mild suspension bridge (kind of like the one at Jay Cooke State Park, but with no one jumping or running across it). Then we all got back to the leisure business, some people looking up the info on their magic phones, and there was a pretty decent after shock that I felt sitting in a chair.
We were a little nervous about the state of the Adobe and our un-landscaped back hillside, but found everything in good order when we got home. Even Florian was unshaken (my father told me he would be fine and demonstrated the stability of the mount by hanging from his neck, but I was still a little worried).
I did not feel the Monday quakes, but did wake up feeling like there was an earthquake Wednesday morning, a feeling I normally dismiss because I am discombobulated and these days I am frequently woken up by Babykins squirming around.
For most people, I think the earthquakes themselves were not that alarming, but it is always the thought of what could have been, or what is coming - especially with so many in one week. I took stock of our supplies and did have the thought that perhaps we could do with some more bottled water. (Right now we have the following earthquake supplies: 9 bottles of wine, 3 bottles of Champagne, 2 Gallons of water (one of which I bought yesterday), plus some other bottled Juices and smaller waters) Also, I realized that the location of our non-alcoholic supplies might prove to be a problem - they are in the garage, right next to the gas hot water heater, which could explode in an earthquake significant enough that we would need to use our supplies... Hmm might need to work on that.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Who is Florian? Does s/he live in the backyard?
ReplyDeleteFlorian is the deer head. The stupid gopher-creatures in the backyard do not deserve names.
ReplyDelete