I think it is weird that everyone asks if I am ready for the baby to be here - a lot (I am sure I did this to all the pregnant people I know too).This has been added to the list of standard-pregnant-questions-people-ask-to-make-conversation. I haven't come up with a good answer yet.
Here are some senarios I have come up with, but haven't tested:
1. for strangers or people who are being rude - just turn around and walk away, or kick them in the shin.
2. for people who ask me every week - 'no, and I am beginning to think this whole baby thing was a really bad idea. Do you know anyone who wants a baby?'
3. for nice people: yes.
It seems like a straight forward question, but here is the crux; who is ready for a baby? I'll tell you who - the grandparents. The parents are not ready for the baby, whether they already have one or not. How can you be? They are tiny, needy, amazing creatures that change your life FOREVER. FOREVER. FOREVER. (Sandlot anyone?).
Yes, we have a place for them to sleep, blankets, outfits, a rocking chair, changing table, swing, car seat, stroller, baby carrier, baby bath, baby towels, binkies, diapers, butt cream, wipes, special baby shampoo/wash, outlet plugs, board books, monitors, sun dome for the beach, play mat, AND a Supreme Snuggle Nest with Incline, we have been waiting for them for 9 + months, have taken classes, talked with friends who are parents, been told that millions of other people have babies all the time, but this is OUR FIRST BABY.
Someone said to me (when I was neither getting married or having a baby) that when women are getting married and having babies, they think that they are the only ones who have ever done it. Well, I think that is a nasty comment. No matter how many people have done these things, when you do them, they should be special and uniquely your own experience. Yes, it may be comforting to know that other people have had these wonderful experiences, but that shouldn't take away from when you plan for and do it. Alternately I don't think it serves to quell any nerves or fears, because ultimately it boils down to your confidence in yourself, your partner, and the people you have surrounded yourself with to get you through the event.
I have also been *treated* to many horror stories about things that happened to so-and-so's cousin's friend, and Shandiz has been told that we will never be able to go to a movie again, go out, basically that our lives are over. I don't understand this compulsion, but I think it is deeply ingrained in most human's nature. I like information: I have read a lot of baby books (DO NOT read Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy - she is an alarmist who had every negative symptom of pregnancy and is not funny enough to make it a worthwhile read), asked select people about there experiences, asked my doctor things, taken birth classes. I do not however appreciate it when people tell me that being pregnant is going to be awful (when I was just pregnant) or that birth is awful and horrific and that I am going to "be screaming for those drugs" (this week).
This is why I hate people (except the ones I like), because for the most part they are intrusive and just want everyone to be the same. If they had a bad experience with something, they want you to have one too, they want you to like the same things and embrace the staus quo (little bit of tangent possibility, trying to rein it back in). So far, I have had a really pretty nice pregnancy. I think a lot of it has to do with trying to stay away from negative people (as much as possible), eating well and getting some exercise (should probably have done more walking), and having great support from Shandiz. Yes, there was some morning sickness, the aversion to steak, some crabbiness (maybe a lot of this), a few meltdowns, some frustration with the decrease of energy and mobility, but I am growing a human inside of me and this can't be expected to be done without a few inconveniences. I am so excited to see the results :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amen, sister. To all of it.
ReplyDelete