Friday, May 8, 2009

I think this means I am getting old

The other day at work some of my favorite worker bees told me about this website where people take pictures of their outfits and post them with descriptions of what they are wearing and where they got it. I thought that sounded really neat so I looked it up when I got home. I think it is really cool, but I also thinks it deserves to be made fun of a bit. If I found this site 10-5 years ago, I think I would have been all over it. It takes a lot of energy to be that up on trends and I have other things to do, like finish my MBA, study for the LSAT (panic) and try to buy an effing house. So here is my making-fun -of-look-book picture.

After looking at lots of the pictures on the website this is what is required: 1. insatiable modeling aspirations, 2. large disposable clothing income (so as to be able to tear and rip various articles of clothing, and discard items the following week when other people have adopted that particular fashion statement) 3. friend or significant other who is a professional photographer (or has aspirations of becoming such) willing to take millions of pictures of you in random and some what contrived locations 4. Hours of time to pour over the millions of photos and select the ones that best convey your particular brand of je ne sais quoi for that day 5. repeat previous steps at least every other day

If you do not have these things, you can do the following: sit on your balcony in an awkward pose, set your camera on the ledge on the timer setting and put a sour-puss look on your face (not hard to do after getting home from work where I stubbed my stupid pinky toe on a rolling rack, seriously I think I should have just had it amputated)

The cool part is that there are people all over the world who post on the site. Some of the pictures are just weird, some are fascinating. I particularly like some of the ones from Scandinavian countries and the uber fashion-y boys. The not cool part is some people border on weirdo-indie-pornography. Also, American Apparel sneaks their ads in between the pictures in a very creative/devious way I find annoying.

1 comment:

  1. love the picture! lol there's also this website that has been around for a long while, www.stylediary.stylehive.com...people take pictures of their outfits, but the photos are usually the type you take of your reflection in the mirror...i use to be young and a member of this particular site...now i'm old and tired. :)

    ReplyDelete